PLEASE NOTE: The Energy Efficient Demonstration Home is currently closed in preparation for its official launch in August. It will re-open to the public from Saturday 13 August 2022 at 11a.m., 1p.m. and 3p.m.
This Energy Efficient Demonstration Home is located at 3 Folvig Close, Strathnairn, Canberra, on the edge of the Ginninderry Display Village. See the map below for how to get there, noting if you rely on your GPS you will be directed to streets that are closed.
Unlike other homes in the Display Village, this home is not trying to sell anything. Its aim is to be an educational resource that provides information to potential home buyers, builders and renovators about what to consider when buying, building or renovating a home.
It is open for free guided tours at 11a.m., 1p.m and 3p.m on the following Saturdays and Sundays:
- It will be closed in July 2022
- Reopens 13-14 August
- 20-21 August
- 27-28 August
- 3-4 September
- 10-11 September
- 17-18 September
- 24-25 September
- 1-2 October
- 8-9 October
- 15-16 October
- 22-23 October
- 29-30 October
- 5-6 November
- 12-13 November
- 19-20 November
- 26-27 November
- 3-4 December
- 10-11 December
- 17-18 December
Please keep an eye on this web page for any changes to these dates of when the home is open, in case we have to unexpectedly close for some reason.
It is best to allow around 1 hour to visit the home based on the following:
- The guided tour takes around 20-30 minutes and explains the key aspects and features of the home.
- You are then given around 10 minutes to continue on a more detailed self-guided tour of each room, reading the interpretive signs.
- You then have the opportunity to have your questions answered and listen to other questions and answers.
Covid-19 Note: Please consider wearing a mask when you visit the home and if you are not feeling well, please do not visit the home and instead visit at another time.
These guided tours are a collaboration between Commonsense Sustainability Solutions and local community organisation SEE-Change.
About this home
In October 2017 Commonsense Sustainability Solutions started the process to construct an exemplar demonstration home, based on the Your Home Design for Place ‘Banksia’ House Design.
The purpose of this home is to explain and show visitors how to easily achieve a more energy efficient and sustainable home, which is cheaper to run and more comfortable to live in.
This demonstration home showcases a range of sustainable living features, including:
- Passive solar design to an 8 star rating under NatHERS
- Double and triple glazing
- Energy and water efficient appliances
- Sustainable (recycled, local and natural) materials
- Renewable energy systems
- Good draft sealing and insulation
- No downlights
- Grass driveway
- Green roof studio
- And much more…
Education materials to complement the home have been developed in collaboration with SEE-Change and with support from the ACT Government Community Zero Emissions Grant Program. These include:
- Demonstration videos and educational displays of how the various systems work (for example, cut-away wall sections and small construction models).
- Information about the different sustainability options that are available for home buyers to consider, as outlined in the Your New Home Buyer’s Guide.
Demonstration Home resources
- Photos of the Energy Efficient Demonstration Home
- Floor Plan – includes an overview of the changes made from the original
- Green Roof Studio – includes the plant layout
- Climate Wise Garden Plan (pdf)
- Tips for Grass Driveways (pdf)
- Signs (pdf)
- Demonstration Trailer (pdf)
- Lessons Learned
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Your New Home Buyer’s Guide – includes the Buyer’s Guide and a number of checklists to make things easy
- Videos – Tips and tricks for wrapping and sealing a home; and How to construct a green roof
- Your Home website
- Actsmart website
- My Efficient Electric Home Facebook Page
- Green It Yourself website